Wednesday 20 July 2011

A Silent Language

As I arrived at the train station this morning I noticed an adorable couple engaging in some mild PDA. I instantly took two steps back in some astonishment as the male and female looked like a couple i once knew but would rather forget. I was rather startled. I took a few deep breaths and drifted off watching this couple thinking, oh how adorable, one day.........

As I continued to stare, I felt a presence near me, I turned around to see it was a girl about my age, she too was watching this couple engaging in a romantic display of love and affection for one another. Completely oblivious to the other communters and the world around them, completely oblivious to our stares. Captivated by each other, in their own land, their own universe, their own moment. Even though they were on a train platform with many other people, they were alone - just the two of them.

As I looked over at her, she caught my stare, and turned around to face me. As she did, I noticed her eyes were filled with pain and teary, her face filled with an emotion I could read all too well. I think she could see the same in me. In that moment we both exchanged a faint smile and with our pain filled eyes silently said.

I understand - You're not alone - I feel your pain.

I don't know whether she has been single forever, mourns the loss of a lover or has just had her heart trampled and seeing that couple reminded her of another time and another place, a kiss she had once shared on the platform of a train station, a world today so foreign. Whether it brought back memories of what once was and now no longer is. Whether it made her miss that person she had once kissed and embraced intimately or whether she had spent her whole life like Cinderella waiting someone to share this journey with....someone to love. Seeing this couple made her teary. But whatever her reason, in that moment she knew she wasn't alone with these feelings and somehow there was a mutual understanding between us. An unspoken language. A comfort. Not even a word was spoken but we both knew that we could relate and we weren't alone in this big world struggling with the very thing we were created for ....LOVE.

In a fraction of a second we both understood everything and everything was clear and unwritten, somehow for the both of us there was comfort in the knowledge that someone else knew how you felt.
A silent language - sometimes we don't need to speak. We don't need to tell someone it will get better - becasue we don't know that it will. We don't need to tell them to get over it and move on. Chin up love, it's all ok. Becuase its not fucking ok and it's ok not to be ok.

Sometimes life plain and simply sux. Isn't there a scripture in the bible about job's friends, shouldn't have they just sat there with him and remained silent. We can all learn from this. SILENCE. UNDERSTANDING.
Sometimes we just need to relate to the human species and tell them they are not alone. To say you know what - we understand. I feel it too. You are not alone in this big world. That in itslef can bring a greater comfort than any word ever could.

In future, let's just be silent, hold that person in your arms and try to understand them for a moment. Try very hard to think about the road they have travelled on and just try to empathise with them. We can never know what it's like to walk in someone elses shoes or live in their bound mind, but the least we can do is try.
And the worst we can do is try and brush it off, and tell them to get up and get out. People aren't looking for advice, or words. They are looking for love and acceptance and understanding. Let's try be that for someone shall we.

There will come a time when healing will come and they will be ok. But until then...can we just try and understand and be still.

Understanding THE silent language.
One we should all learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment